About Me

My photo
I would classify myself as an artist. It took me a while to finally accept that monicker, but that's what I am; AN ARTIST!!! I have a wonderful hubs that supports my "talents" in most all avenues, except maybe when the credit card bill comes in the mail...LOL And I have 4 great kids and 5 beautiful grandchildren that I love to pieces. Come on by and sit a spell and "STAMP 'TIL YA CRAMP!!! & "CROP 'TIL YA DROP!!!"

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pass the baby oil....


No, I'm not tanning, but I will if the weather will ever cooperate, HA.
I need the baby oil for a new method of blending color pencils. I colored this image using Koh-l-noor woodless color pencils, baby oil and a stump. It didn't feel any different than using mineral spirits, it blended beautifully. Then I used a white gel pen for a few dots of highlight, here and there. I think I will still use my spirits, 'cause it was a little harder to sand off the color from the stump....not hard, just a little harder (the color seemed to soak into the stump more for me). Hope you give this one a try....new things that turn out good makes me "crazy happy" !!!

5 comments:

Holly Young said...

This turned out really nice Crystal! Your highlighting of the apple is perfect; it looks good enough to eat!

Donna said...

Nice job, Crystal. I've been following the conversation all day and would love to try the method but so far I haven't been able to find blending stumps. Hobby Lobby didn't have them and neither did my local sbs. So I'll have to drive to Michael's but I probably won't ge there until the weekend.
: ( Can't wait to try it though. Thanks for all the tips!

Stef H said...

Spirits are for drinking not for coloring! LOL.

Stunning and the apple looks so real. You are a superb artist!

Hugs,

Unknown said...

Cool coloring! Good tips on the spirits vs. baby oil. I haven't tried that technique (yet:)

Anita said...

Wonderful coloring. TFS!